Nutritious, kid-friendly food is provided for the weekend for at-risk children in schools grade K-12 and summer meal program sites.
One in four southeast Texas children are at-risk of hunger, which means they don’t have consistent access to enough nutritious food. Many of these children rely on school meals to provide breakfast and lunch during the school year. During breaks, such as weekends and holidays, many of these children go home to little or no meals. The Houston Food Bank’s Backpack Buddy program works to fill that gap by providing nutritious, child-friendly food for school children to take home over the weekend.
Through the Backpack Buddy program, the Houston Food Bank, works in partnership with participating schools, school district delivery sites, and other community partners, to ensure that the food sacks are distributed to children every Friday during the school year.
If your school is interested in participating in the Backpack Buddy program:
- Please check back in July for 2018/2019 school year application.
- A Backpack Buddy staff member will contact you with any additional steps.
- Read the 2018/2019 Backpack Buddy Informational Packet.
- Complete and submit the 2018-2019 Backpack Buddy Program Agreement.
If you are interested in having your child on the Backpack Buddy program:
- Contact the principal or school counselor at your child’s school to find out if the school participates in the program.
- If your school is not a part of the Backpack Buddy program, direct your school principal or counselor to this site for more information.