Apply For SNAP

Our Community Assistance Program provides assistance in applying for SNAP to help eligible individuals and families purchase food.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families and provides economic benefits to communities.

Households who receive SNAP can use benefits to buy foods such as:

  • breads and cereals
  • fruits and vegetables
  • meats, fish and poultry
  • dairy products

The Houston Food Bank Community Assistance Program (CAP) provides assistance to people applying for SNAP

To learn more about SNAP, please visit

We can help you look at your financial situation and determine if you can apply for programs like SNAP. You may qualify if your income and other resources are under certain limits. You can have a car, a house, and or some savings and still be eligible.

If you are undocumented, and have children who are United States citizens, you can apply for SNAP on their behalf.

You’ll need when applying:

  • Identification (for everyone in the household)
  • Social Security Numbers (for everyone in the household)
  • Utility Bills (gas, electric, oil, water, and telephone)
  • Rent Receipt/Agreement or Mortgage Statements and/or Tax Bill
  • Proof of Income (for everyone in the household)
  • Medical Expenses – ONLY if you are 60 and older and/or disabled
  • Child day care expenses

Application and technical assistance is available at the Houston Food Bank (535 Portwall Street). Or, call  832-369-9390 to speak with a Community Assistance Program representative.

Other Criteria:

  • Children born in U.S. to undocumented residents may be eligible for SNAP assistance

To learn more about SNAP qualifications, please visit

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.  (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Right program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C., 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers; found online at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

For questions regarding SNAP application assistance, please call our helpline: