Do you want to make a significant difference in our community and have a blast doing it? Join the Houston Food Bank Student Heroes Program for high school students and help lead the fight against hunger.
There are three sessions throughout the year: Spring (January-May), Summer (June-August) and Fall (September-December). During the respective session, Student Heroes will learn core principles of leadership and be able to accomplish the following:
- Train and oversee volunteers in various projects at the Houston Food Bank ensuring that volunteers have a meaningful experience.
- Coordinate and market a Food/School Supply Drive to help those in need in our community
- Attend leadership and professional development workshops to develop skills
- Understand hunger as a Southeast Texas issue and learn to measure the impact of their work. All volunteer projects have an impact measurement tied to the issues of hunger.
Become a Student Hero
If you are a high school student interested in leading the fight against hunger, become a Student Hero by applying today!
Student Hero Requirements:
- Freshmen – Senior High School Classification
- Complete Student Hero application
- Complete interview with Student Hero Executive Board and Houston Food Bank Staff
- Attend Student Hero Orientation and Training Sessions
- Commit to donating 50 volunteer hours per session
- Commit to host a food/school supply drive
- Must be on time and professional at all times
- Must represent the Houston Food Bank and Student Hero program in a positive manner
Student Hero benefits include:
- Develop skills and gain real life experience
- Leadership and professional development workshops
- Student Hero t-shirt and name tag
- School Credit and hours verification letter
- Student Hero Certificate (after 50 hours of service)
- Letter of Recommendation (after 100 hours of service)
- Special events and recognition awards
- Rewarding feeling from fighting hunger
- Being a vital member of the Houston Food Bank family!
Upcoming Student Hero Events
Student Hero Fall Session Begins
Date: Saturday, September 9
Time: 7:30 AM
Location: Houston Food Bank | 535 Portwall Street
Student Heroes Executive Board
Elizabeth Szafranski, Bellaire High School
Brihu Sundararaman, Clements High School
Chief of Staff
Brinda Kharel, Carnegie Vanguard High School
Madisen Beavers, St. Pius X High School
Special Projects Lead
Rhea Bhala, Clements High School
John Cadena, Episcopal High School
Interest in learning more?
Contact Rebecca Malik at 713-547-8634