Do you want to make a significant difference in our community and have a blast doing it? Join the Houston Food Bank Student Heroes Program for high school students and help lead the fight against hunger.
There are three sessions throughout the year: Spring (January-May), Summer (June-August) and Fall (September-December). During the respective session, Student Heroes will learn core principles of leadership and be able to accomplish the following:
- Train and oversee volunteers in various projects at the Houston Food Bank ensuring that volunteers have a meaningful experience.
- Coordinate and market a Food/School Supply Drive to help those in need in our community
- Attend leadership and professional development workshops to develop skills
- Understand hunger as a Southeast Texas issue and learn to measure the impact of their work. All volunteer projects have an impact measurement tied to the issues of hunger.
Become a Student Hero
If you are a high school student interested in leading the fight against hunger, become a Student Hero by applying today!
Student Hero Requirements:
- Freshmen – Senior High School Classification
- Complete Student Hero application
- Complete interview with Student Hero Executive Board and Houston Food Bank Staff
- Attend Student Hero Orientation and Training Sessions
- Commit to donating 50 volunteer hours per session
- Commit to host a food/school supply drive
- Must be on time and professional at all times
- Must represent the Houston Food Bank and Student Hero program in a positive manner
Student Hero benefits include:
- Develop skills and gain real life experience
- Leadership and professional development workshops
- Student Hero t-shirt and name tag
- School Credit and hours verification letter
- Student Hero Certificate (after 50 hours of service)
- Letter of Recommendation (after 100 hours of service)
- Special events and recognition awards
- Rewarding feeling from fighting hunger
- Being a vital member of the Houston Food Bank family!
Upcoming Student Hero Events
Student Heroes Executive Board
Elizabeth Szafranski, Bellaire High School
Brihu Sundararaman, Clements High School
Chief of Staff
Brinda Kharel, Carnegie Vanguard High School
Madisen Beavers, St. Pius X High School
Special Projects Lead
Rhea Bhala, Clements High School
John Cadena, Episcopal High School
Interest in learning more?
Contact Rebecca Malik at 713-547-8634