Many children who rely on free or reduced-priced lunches during the school year go home to meager or no meals on weekends. The Houston Food Bank’s Backpack Buddy program works to fill that gap.
On Fridays, at participating schools and other locations, children take home child-friendly, nonperishable, easily consumed and vitamin-fortified food.
The food is given to the children discreetly, to avoid inviting unwanted attention.
How to get involved
Make a donation to Backpack Buddy through the Houston Food Bank. Gifts of any amount are welcome.
Donate healthy, nonperishable child-friendly food.
Help support Houston Food Bank programs like Backpack Buddy!
Most Needed Items for Backpack Buddy
- Meat stews with vegetables
- Canned chicken or tuna
- Peanut butter
- Canned beans
Fruits & Vegetables:
- Fruit cups packed in 100% juice
- 100% fruit juice
- Canned vegetables
- Boxed grains, including cereal (12 - 16 oz.)
- Macaroni and cheese (low fat or regular)
- Canned pasta meals (such as Chef Boyardee)
- Yogurt cereal bars
- Fruit filled cereal bars
- Granola bars
- Low fat crackers
- Low fat/low sugar cookies
- Shelf-stable milk (plain or chocolate)
Backpack Buddy Coordinator
School Programs Specialist