- 2 tsp. olive or canola oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin or more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves pressed or finely chopped
- 2 16oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 2 Tbsps. tap water
- 2 Tbsps. green onions chopped
- 1 fresh tomato coarsely chopped
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper or more to taste
- Place a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium low.
- Let it heat up and after 2 minutes carefully add to the oil.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and water. Cook until golden and soft, about 10 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Lower heat to low, add tomatoes, spices, beans, and broth to cook until beans are very soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Divide the cooked rice among 6 bowls or plates and top with equal amounts of the bean mixture.
- Sprinkle with green onion.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 643mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3mg