- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into chunks)
- 1 pound cabbage (½ medium cabbage), quartered, cored and thinly cut
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp green onions (about 3 green onions), chopped
- ⅔ cup low-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ + ⅛ tsp salt (if desired)
- Black pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes with water in saucepan, add ½ teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover partially and cook until tender all the way through when pierced with a knife, about 30 minutes. Do not drain water, but use a skimmer or a slotted spoon to transfer potatoes from the pot to a bowl.
- Bring water back to a boil and add cabbage. Cook uncovered until tender, approximately five to six minutes. Drain.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet, and add green onions. Cook, stirring until they soften, about three minutes.
- Add potatoes to skillet. Smash potatoes to a coarse mash in the pan with a potato masher or back of spoon.
- Stir in milk and mix together well until potatoes have absorbed all the milk.
- Stir in cabbage and season with ⅛ teaspoon salt (if desireand pepper to taste.
- Stir together until heated through and serve.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 280mg | Potassium: 486mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg