In fall 2008, the Houston Food Bank merged with End Hunger Network, a Houston-area food rescue organization, thus making more effective use of community resources by working together as one.
In fiscal year 2011-2012, HFB distributed 50 million nutritious meals food and other necessities.
The vision for the future is to expand service to the community to 100,000,000 nutritious meals by 2018.
By the Numbers
- 137,000 different people fed each week.
- Half of are children
- Half are from working families
- Only 6% are homeless
- A one-dollar donation provides a full day of meals of an individual.
- One hour of volunteer time equals 63 meals.
- 95¢ of every dollar we spend is used to feed hungry people.
As a member of the nation's largest non-governmental, domestic hunger relief organization - Feeding America - our goal is to make food accessible to hungry people in their greatest times of need.
Food access for all
Leading the fight against hunger