Get help with food/and or client services
The Houston Food Bank Social Services purpose is to provide efficient and accessible services through community outreach efforts; to clients who may be in need of State Benefits in our 12 county regions. Our goal is to provide assistance to people who don't have enough money to buy food through SNAP (Food Stamps), may also need healthcare for their families through Medicaid, CHIP, Women's Health Initiative, and may need help paying bills through TANF cash benefits. The Houston Food Bank Social Service Program also provides linkage and referral services to clients in need of other social services that the food bank cannot provide.
Services We Provide:
- SNAP-Food Stamps
- Children's Medicaid
- Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Women's Health Program (Family Planning, Health screenings thru Medicaid Program)
- CHIP Perinatal Program
- Linkage and Referral Services to other social service providers and other food bank programs.
You may qualify if your income and other resources are under certain limits. New changes to the food stamp program have increased the maximum income limits, allowed a higher utility deduction and have eliminated some assets from the calculation. You can have a car, a house, and or some savings and still be eligible.
If you are undocumented, and have children who are United States citizens, you can apply for food stamps on their behalf.
What do I need to bring with me
- Identification (for everyone in the household)
- Social Security Numbers (for everyone in the household)
- Utility Bills (gas, electric, oil, water, and telephone)
- Rent Receipt/Agreement or Mortgage Statements and/or Tax Bill.
- Proof of Income (for everyone in the household)
- Medical Expenses - ONLY if you are 60 and older and/or disabled
- Child Day Care expenses
Where can I get help
Application and technical assistance is available at the Houston Food Bank at 535 Portwall Street. Call the hotline to speak with a Social Services Outreach representative at
You can also apply online at https://www.yourtexasbenefits.com. Services are available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese (service can be provided in other languages via State interpretation services as needed).
Application Assistance Hotline