Teachers Aid "How To" Guide
Am I eligible?
Teachers must meet two criteria –
1. Work at a school that participates in the Backpack Buddy Program...and...
2. Work at a school where 70% or more of students are on free and reduced-price lunch
How do I shop?
1. Request an appointment by e-mailing from your school e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Teachers Aid Center is open on posted dates from 9am-5pm; shopping times are every 30 minutes.
Please include the following information:
- School district
- Number of students
- Two preferred times (i.e. 9:00am and 9:30am)
2. Teachers may shop once per quarter during the school year (September – November, December – February, March – May).
3. Please bring the confirmation e-mail you receive from the Houston Food Bank and your valid school ID.
4. Please bring your own bags for shopping. The Teachers Aid Center relies on donated product and may not always have a supply of bags for your use. We sometimes have re-usable shopping bags which would be available for 5 points per bag.
5. Every item in the Teachers Aid Center is donated to the Houston Food Bank for this program. As a result, our inventory varies over time. We try to keep a supply of the most-needed items, but we can’t guarantee that you’ll find the same things each time you visit.
6. You will be given 200 points to use in selecting products from the shelves in the Teachers Aid Center. You will find signs throughout the Center with the point value for the various items that are available. We use the point system to ensure that every teacher has a fair opportunity to get school supplies for the classroom. The points you get are only good for that day’s visit – we can’t apply them to your next visit.
7. As you shop, fill out a product sheet so you can keep track of your points as you use them.
8. When you’ve reached your 200 point limit, check out with one of the attendees at the tables. We will weigh your product before you leave for record-keeping purposes.
What else do I need to know?
1. Please arrive at your assigned shopping time to ensure that other teachers can enjoy their assigned times as well. If there’s a crowd, we might have to ask you to reschedule should you arrive late.
2. Since the Teachers Aid Center is only open on Saturdays, we understand that some parents might need to bring their children with them. The Center is filled with colorful, fun items. If your kids come with you, please keep an eye on them while you’re shopping and ask them not to play with the product so we can maintain an organized environment for all of your fellow teachers.
3. Because all of the items in the Teachers Aid Center are donated, the Houston Food Bank has to ensure that they are used for the purpose that the donor intended. Please help us honor our commitment to our donors. Items may not be resold, traded or bartered for home or personal use.
4. If for some reason you receive a damaged item from the Teachers Aid Center, bring it back when you come for your next scheduled visit. We will be happy to refund the points for that shopping experience.
Thank you for allowing us to provide school supplies for your low income students.