Social Services Outreach

We can help you apply for SNAP (food stamps)!

Houston Food Bank's Social Services Outreach Program (SSOP) is focused on raising awareness in the service area of available social services and provides application and technical assistance for state-funded social and health services.

Application Assistance

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly Food Stamps
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash benefits
  • Children's Medicaid
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Women's Health Program (Family Planning, Health screenings thru Medicaid Program)
  • CHIP Perinatal Program
  • Linkage and Referral Services to other social service providers and other food bank programs.

Application and Technical Assistance available at the Houston Food Bank, 535 Portwall Street.

SSOP can submit cases electronically to the State. In addition, SSOP staff are able to issue Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards to clients in order to expedite receipt of benefits after eligibility has been determined and approved on the State level.

Services are available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese (service can be provided in other languages via State interpretation services as needed).

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. -  5:00 p.m.
Saturday - Telephone Helpline Only
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

People in need can contact Houston Food Bank's Call Center Helpline, 832-369-9390

In 2006 this program was launched statewide through the Texas Food Bank Network Association and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Help support Houston Food Bank programs like the Social Services Outreach Program!
Donate Online


The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.  (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Right program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C., 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Donate Today!

Thank you! You're helping us feed hungry families and individuals throughout southeast Texas.

Agency Login

I forgot my password | Resend activation e-mail