Core Connections Network
As an organization, we recognize the link between hunger, health, and the challenges that our clients face when trying to better these circumstances. In response to this issue, Core Connections Network creates a safety net of information and resources for clients to access in an effort to manage their chronic condition, achieve food security, and improve their quality of life.
The program is part of the evolution of the Houston Food Bank that brings together access to nutritious foods and education to empower our clients to actively embrace healthy choices that break destructive cycles.
We are helping those we serve in the most profound ways, by encouraging and supporting them as they build a healthier future.
The Core Connections Network is a group of HFB partner agencies dedicated to establishing a trusting rapport with clients and community partners to address the complicated, underlying problems that perpetuate the cycles of hunger/food insecurity and poor self-management.
Key components for Core Connections Network include:
- Thoroughly designed Chronic Conditions and Diabetes Self-Management Curriculum
- Class topics vary from health and wellness education, nutrition education, exercise regimes, managing medication, stress management, and lifestyle action plans
- Case management software to track client progress
- Training for staff to teach health and wellness classes for given curriculum
- Food resources to support healthy choices and new learned behaviors
- Ongoing support from Core Connections Network staff to help monitor and track client change
The main goals of Core Connections Network and its supporting curriculum is to ultimately teach people how to change their world for themselves.
Each class a client attends is designed to help clients think and act in new ways to help them make positive lifestyle changes. After completing the curriculum, Core Connections graduates will have learned to successful self-manage their chronic condition. Clients who take part in our curriculum will learn how to:
- Consistently make better choices about their life
- Develop new skill sets that will positively impact their health and well-being
- Gain control over various elements of their life that once created barriers to their success
- Live happier and longer lives with fewer complications
“The curriculum makes things clear and easy to understand—it not only gives clients information on how to manage the various demands of their life in addition to their chronic condition, but also provides ongoing support as they take action to be healthier.”
Core Connections Network Coordinator