Be an Advocate
Did you know?
- Texas has one of the highest rates of child food insecurity in the country
- Every day 66,200 people in Houston are hungry
- Each week the Houston Food Bank feeds 137,000 people, 47% of which are children
- 43% of hungry families must choose between food and medicine
YOU have the power to help end hunger. Let your elected officials know today that you want them to support comprehensive anti-hunger initiatives. Take a stand now because hunger is unacceptable.
Research Highlights Healthy Diet Choices Among SNAP Participants
A Report released in late April by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) shows that individuals participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as “Food Stamps”) enjoy greater access to healthy foods and make purchases which are generally similar to those of low-income individuals who are not SNAP participants.
The study found:
- SNAP participants are 23% more likely to purchase whole fruit than when they are not on SNAP and do not receive program benefits; and,
- SNAP participants are slightly less likely to consume dark green and orange vegetables, and more likely to consume less salt and saturated fat.
This study shows the critical role of nutrition programs such as SNAP which are designed to increase access to healthy foods and nutrition education among low-income children and their families. SNAP provides: increased access to fresh produce through more than 3,200 authorized farmers markets and stands; and, expanded education, including nutrition information and obesity prevention activities for SNAP participants and other low-income individuals.
One in four Americans is touched by the USDA’s fifteen programs to improve both access to nutritious foods and diet-choices throughout the population across the nation.
Sign up for action alert
Our alert system makes it easy to send messages to Congress when they will make the biggest impact.
Tell your story
Personal stories inform our advocacy and build a persuasive case for fair public policies.
Register to vote.
Become and HFB Hunger Champion