Retail Pick-up Program
How It Works
- The Houston Food Bank sends refrigerated trucks to over 200 area grocery stores twice a week to pick up donated food that would otherwise be thrown away. The items include slightly dented cans, torn cereal boxes, produce and meat approaching its “sell-by” date. The stores freeze the meat and it remains frozen until it is donated to partner agencies for distribution.
- All the food is brought back to the Houston Food Bank to be sorted and distributed by our partner hunger relief agencies or on-site emergency food pantry.
How It Helps
- Every month, Retail Pick-up collects almost 300,000 pounds of meat, which is hard for low income people to afford.
- Retail Pick-up donations also bring in over 206,000 pounds of eggs and other dairy products each month.
- Last year, Retail Pick-up donations totaled more than 9 million pounds of food.
- The food received provides 7.5 million meals annually to those in need.
Liability issues are coverage through state and federal provisions that protect donors who act in good faith. And, the Houston Food Bank meets or exceeds the same food-handling and safety regulations that govern the food and grocery industry.
There are simple economic advantages to donating to the Food Bank.
- Enhance your community reputation by supporting one of Houston’s largest and most respected non-profit human service organizations.
- Reap rewards for your generosity through tax benefits.
- Reduce your waste costs while you help alleviate the suffering of hunger
And – it’s just the right thing to do!
To become a Retail Pick-up Partner or for more information,
contact Brooke Sinclair at 832-369-9215.