Disaster Temporary Agencies
The Houston Food Bank needs more partners to serve as distribution points to reach individuals who suffered losses from Hurricane Harvey. The widespread flooding created unprecedented need for disaster food assistance in the Houston Food Bank’s service area. A Food Bank analysis shows that we don’t have enough distribution sites to serve flooded families in a number of geographic areas.
Areas where the Houston Food Bank is most in need of partners include the Katy, Humble, Kingwood and Sheldon Lake areas in Harris County; and Brazoria, Fort Bend, Liberty and San Jacinto Counties.
The Houston Food Bank would deliver large quantities of food and cleaning supplies to partners at these locations. Partners would be responsible for all site logistics, including maintaining the facility, recruiting volunteers, observing a schedule for distributing product to clients and receiving product and handling all product after it’s delivered.
Partners could be faith-based congregations and organizations, community centers, social service organizations or other nonprofit entities. Or, if you have access to a secure facility of some type that volunteers can run, let us know and we can look for a nonprofit partner to work with you.
Partners must be able to:
- Accept and handle anywhere from 10 to 20 pallets of food (an 18-wheeler trailer holds 20 pallets).
- Serve 150 to 300 people (or households) in a 4-hour period.
- Provide 10 to 20 volunteers at one time.
- Be solely responsible for maintaining the site.
- Comply with Houston Food Bank rules for Disaster Temporary Agencies.
Procedure for becoming a Disaster Temporary Agency
If your organization wants to be a temp agency distributing disaster supplies, please submit the information below. To help us respond to you more effectively, please send it to all three of these individuals:
Alfredo Flores email@example.com
Kristen House firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosario Garza email@example.com
Include these things in your email:
- 501c3 letter from IRS - or -
If you are a church, please complete and include this 14-point document
- Organization name
- Organization address
- Contact name
- Contact number (has to be cell phone or a number that provides direct contact)
- Possible delivery date of product (submit by noon no less than 24 hours in advance; product could then be delivered the following afternoon)
- Verify that your location is accessible for delivery: Are roads clear? Can a truck as large as an 18-wheeler get to your location?
We will contact you to confirm and get you started.